Tuesday, January 7, 2014

OTB Bicycle Cafe North Park

Old Firehouse Dip
Like most good things, a good eating streak can't last forever! On Saturday my cohort and I ate at the OTB (Over The Bar) Bicycle Cafe located in the North Park boathouse. It has a nice bar, comfy dining area, and additional seating outside. I think it's an ingenious idea to open up a new watering hole in a familiar spot. Unfortunately, everyone else thought the same thing! It was jam packed, standing room only. I'm not sure why it would be this busy when it was still early in the evening. We stood around drinking until seats opened at the bar. The couple behind us stood for an additional 30-40 minutes waiting for a table. The bartenders are friendly and know how to hustle through a busy period. The 1st round of drinks were good. The 2nd round was just so, so. (I think it depends on the bartender) We had the Old Firehouse Dip which boasts fresh jalapenos, cream cheese, shredded cheddar, green onions, and crispy bacon served with tortilla chips. I was waiting for a spicy explosion of flavor in my mouth. In the end, it simply tasted like warm cream cheese with tomatoes on top. I ordered Henry's Fish Tacos for my meal. Another miss. They were overloaded with a pineapple salsa that consumed the entire dish. On a more upbeat note, my partner in crime let me taste his burger. It was called the Wheelmill. Extremely tasty! I was jealous. Around this time, Cohort noticed that the restaurant had suddenly cleared out. It was around 8:30pm. (he said everyone was rushing home to pay the babysitter!) If you decide to try it out, be prepared that it may be overcrowded. Another tip? This is not the time to get fancy. Keep it simple...... just get a burger. http://www.otbbicyclecafe.com/

PROS: It has a nice view and friendly staff.
CONS: After all the wait, 2 out of 3 dishes were a bust.
 OTB at the Boathouse on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment