Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Nice Piece Of Tail: Cornerstone Restaurant & Bar


I recently took my niece out for her birthday to Cornerstone Restaurant & Bar located in Aspinwall. It was early on a Wednesday so it wasn't crowded. It's a nice neighborhood bar with an upscale feel. The bar area is separated by a partial brick wall. We sat at a booth in the dining area which is small but nice and comfortable.They also have outside seating for warmer weather. (Not that we would be using that area anytime soon considering we are living in some type of Game of Thrones winter season!) There is a very good reason to visit this establishment on hump day-a little thing they call "Lobster Tail Wednesday." I'm impressed by any restaurant that would choose such a bold main dish for their midweek special. We started with a smoked salmon soup. A hearty soup with a lingering smokey flavor that warms you to the bone.

Smoked Salmon Soup
Then came the Maine event: a tender nice sized lobster tail served with clarified butter, roasted brussel sprouts and parmesan risotto. The risotto was rich and creamy, soft but still al dente with a bit of "stickiness." I was very pleased! My niece ordered the spaghetini; smoked mozzarella stuffed meatballs, san marzano marinara and parmesan reggiano over a bed of pasta. When she sliced through the meatball, cheese poured out over the top of the pasta. When I tasted her pasta, I almost forgot about my lobster tail. I wanted to eat the entire dish, but since it was her birthday, I resisted! 


Lobster Tail with Brussel Sprouts and Risotto
For dessert we shared a bread pudding, served warm with caramel drizzle, a scoop of ice cream on top and a bottom that had started to caramelize. That's right, caramel candy-coated bread pudding! It doesn't get any better than that! 
I would like to revisit when the weather breaks. (If that ever happens...) I would love to see their summer menu.  http://cornerstonepgh.com/index.shtml
 
PROS: Daily menu specials.($10 off bottled wine on Thursday!) Good drinks, even better food!
CONS: The dining area itself is small, but don't let that deter you.

 Cornerstone Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment