Sunday, April 6, 2014

St. Patty's Day Beer Run: Rivertowne Brewing

On St. Patrick's Day Cohort and I headed out to the Rivertowne Offices and Brewery on Old William Penn Hwy in Export, Pa for a beer run. They have a tasting room and also offer tours. The website says the tasting room sells six packs, cases, kegs and several beers on tap. It was here that I found my new summer beverage. We tried a few beers and I settled on the Hala Kahiki (hahlah-kah-hee-kee). The name itself originates from the Hawiian word for pineapple. This pineapple ale is light with a soft pineapple taste and an ABV of 4.8%. Don't be nervous, the taste isn't too sweet. It's beyond refreshing and tastes like summer. I closed my eyes and thought I was sitting on a white sandy beach with a flower in my hair. I decided I need to have more of this in my life. My plan? To drink this enchanting pineapple ale ALL SUMMER LONG!
Rivertowne Brewing
Cohort enjoyed a few of the darker beers on tap and purchased a seasonal ale to take with: Bourbon Barrel Aged All Aboard Anniversary Stout. An oatmeal coffee stout with an ABV of 7.1%. - Cohort thought it was excellent!
Bourbon Barrel Aged All Aboard Anniversary Stout
The tasting room is open Mon-Fri 3pm to 9pm; Sat 11am-9pm; Sun 11am-5pm Closing times vary, depending on what time parties disperse. You can grab a pint and a small bite to eat. (Ask about their mason jar club for those who want to stop in more often.) Tours are offered every Sat at 2pm, but reservations are required to guarantee your place in the tour. Call to make reservations 724-519-2145.  http://www.myrivertowne.com/brewing/index.asp

Tours cost $8 per person and include:
* Sampling of Rivertowne Beers
* Technical tour of the brewery with a pint for the ride
* Keepsake can for you to drink or take with you
* $3 beers after the tour
Rivertowne Brewery
After a few beers we headed out for the rest of our St. Patrick's day celebration, but that story is for another day!

PROS: Local brewery with top notch ale. Available at establishments all around the city.
CONS: Seasonal brews are so good you'll want them year round!







No comments:

Post a Comment