Friday, April 11, 2014

St. Patrick's Day: Joey's The Edge

After our visit to Rivertowne on St. Patrick's Day we ended up at a place called Joey's The Edge in Export, PA for a quick drink and a bite. I normally don't venture out on St. Patrick's Day, I look at it like it's the evening of The Purge. You're more than welcome to participate in the shenanigans, but if something goes wrong, you were kinda asking for it! I didn't see much harm in stopping by a small neighborhood spot. It wasn't very crowded at first, but more people poured in as the evening progressed. They have a small bar area with a few high tables and stool seating, a pool table and an area where bands perform. Beer and cocktail specials were listed for the evening. At the end of the bar a young woman was boasting that she had been there celebrating St. Patty's Day since breakfast. (Kegs and eggs I guess) It was around 9pm, so Cohort and I assumed she was joking. After a few long islands I headed to the ladies room. As I walked to the end of the bar I could see the young woman in full view. She sported flannel white pajama pants with colorful peace signs and a fitted night shirt. It was at that moment that I realized she was completely serious. Not only had she been at the establishment since early that morning, she didn't even bother getting dressed! LET THE EVENING BEGIN! I LOVED this place!
Burger and Chips
The people are friendly, laid back and just want to have a good time. The menu was limited due to the fact that they don't have a fryer. They did have burgers, Italian sausage, B.L.T. ect. Cohort ordered a burger with chips, I decided on the Italian sausage with chips. Nothing fancy, more like being at a friend's house and they decide to throw some burgers on the grill. And let me tell you, every bite was good! The old neighborhood bar with a back room kitchen is a dying breed and that saddens me. Growing up everyone in the city knew if you wanted a good fish sandwich the place to go was the Triangle Cafe in Mount Oliver. The Triangle is long gone now, as are many other neighborhood bars. If the neighborhood bars across the city don't continue to get support they will all be gone. Some people may think this is a good idea, that Pittsburgh needs upscale establishments all around the city, but riddle me this, who wants to spend every weekend paying $12 for one drink? Who wants to get dressed to the nines just to grab a quick bite? If you can't sport your flannel jammy pants to the local neighborhood watering hole, than where can you sport them?!?!
Italian Sausage and Chips
I say people of Pittsburgh pick a month and in that month only venture out to small local neighborhood establishments for eating and drinking. Take a break from the high end affairs and just relax. Go out and enjoy yourself without a care in the world, because at Joey's The Edge the people don't care - about what you look like, how you're dressed, how much money you have or where you came from. They're just there to enjoy themselves. I would like to visit Joey's again on an evening when the band is playing. According to their Facebook page it makes for a damn goodnight! Hopefully I'll run into Jammy Pants Girl...she clearly knows how to have a good time! (Rock on Jammy Pants Girl....ROCK ON!)  http://www.coroproservices.com/joeys/index.html

PROS: Good food. Happy hour specials. Live music. They even have S.I.N. (service industry night!)
CONS: A bit of a drive unless you're local,  but if you decide to venture to Rivertowne Brewery, you're right around the corner! They also still allow smoking. (This isn't really a CON for me. I don't mind, but it may be for others.)

Joey's The Edge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment